Obituaries - January/February 1998

January/February 1998

Reading time min

Obituaries - January/February 1998

Faculty and Staff

Max Dresden, of Palo Alto, October 29, at 79, as the result of a fall and a long battle with cancer. A theoretical physicist, he was an active professor emeritus working at both the Stanford Linear Accelerator Center and in the history and philosophy of science program. He was a fellow of the American Physical Society and the American Association for the Advancement of Science. He published articles in more than 35 scientific journals and was thesis adviser for 63 doctoral students. Survivors: his wife of 49 years, Bertha; two sons, Bram and Ben; two daughters, Janna and Danielle; his brother, Sem; nine grandchildren; and one great-grandchild.


Gretchen Kaufman, '21, of Poulsbos, Wash., July 26, at 101. She earned a master's degree from the U. of Washington in 1928. She taught chemistry for 24 years, first at Fairhaven High School and then Bellingham High School. In 1963, she moved to Suquamish, and then Poulsbos, to live with her niece, Gloria Moberly. She enjoyed gardening and writing poetry. She is survived by 12 nieces and nephews.

Dorothy Frances Porter Millerd, '24, of Morgan Hill, Calif., September 14, 1996, at 93. She began her career as a laboratory technician in San Francisco and later became a high school biology teacher in Lone Pine and Fresno, Calif. She also was a high school and public librarian in Fresno. She retired in 1968 and moved to Morgan Hill in 1977. After adopting a wild mustang, she and her daughter, Jean, founded the Shining Star Ranch, a Morgan Hill horse boarding facility and events center. She was a longtime member of the First Congregational Church of Fresno and later joined the Morgan Hill Methodist Church. She also was active in charitable organizations. Her husband, Lawrence Millerd, predeceased her in 1944. Survivors: two daughters, Jean Virginia Millerd-Low, '57, and Deborah Anne Millerd Alberti; her foster daughter, Phyllis Neufeld; four grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.

Orson Cutler Shepard, '24, Engr. '28, of Stanford, October 16, at 94, of heart failure. After working as an assistant mill superintendent in a gold and silver mine in Mexico, he joined the mining and metallurgy faculty at Stanford. With the advent of World War II, he shifted into the field of physical metallurgy, making major changes in the way metallurgy was taught at Stanford, developing new courses that emphasized the scientific approach to the study of materials and conducting sponsored research. In 1957, he became head of the newly formed department of metallurgy, which he transformed into the department of materials science in the School of Engineering and chaired from 1960 to 1967. He retired as professor emeritus of materials science and engineering in 1968. His wife, Grace Newland, '28, predeceased him in 1996. Survivors: his son, Roger, '51; his daughter, Cynthia, '52, MA '55; and three grandchildren, including Newland, '81.

Thomas Crooke McCleave, '26, of Menlo Park, September 18, at 92. While at Stanford, he was captain of the tennis team. During World War II, he served in the Navy in the South Pacific. An internist who specialized in gerontology, he received his medical degree from Washington U. School of Medicine and practiced medicine in Oakland, Calif., for 42 years on staff at Providence and Peralta hospitals. He served on the Institutions Commission of Alameda County and was involved with Highland Hospital. He also was a pianist, performing with a physicians' orchestra. Survivors: two daughters, Sue Cake, '53, and Jane Trautmann; three grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.

Aileen Hicks Finley, '27, of Seattle, August 10, at 93, of heart failure. She worked in a law office and then opened a salvage shop in Sausalito. In 1942, she moved to Seattle and began working as a volunteer publicist. She did work for the Seattle-King County Girl Scout Council, Seattle Milk Fund, Community Chest and other groups. She planned fund-raising luncheons and fashion shows and wrote freelance articles for Seattle newspapers. She traveled the world for the Metropolitan Opera and, in 1983, she edited the Northwest branch of the Metropolitan Opera Council newsletter. She served as an officer in many groups, including the women's committee of the Seattle Symphony. Her husband of 43 years, John, predeceased her in 1978. Survivors: her brother, George Hicks; and two sisters, Joy Bays and JoAnn Bays.

Ted K. Nordheim, '28, of San Jose, July 24, at 91, of heart failure. A 40-year employee of Pacific Telephone Co., he held positions in San Francisco, Palo Alto and Salinas before settling in San Jose in 1940. In 1942, he entered the Navy, serving as a radar officer in the South Pacific during World War II and was discharged with the rank of lieutenant commander. After retiring as a PacBell executive in 1968, he began repairing radio and television sets as a hobby. He was a member of the Kiwanis Club. Survivors: his wife of 68 years, Lee; his son, Kenneth; his daughter, Noreen Feuss; four grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.

William I. Olsen, '28, MA '31, of Saint Helena, Calif., September 24. Survivors include his brother, Alfred.

Carl F. Izzard, '29, of Lovettsville, Va., July 8, at 92. He earned a master's degree in hydraulic engineering from the U. of Iowa, and many of his formulas and studies are still used internationally. He worked for the Federal Highway Administration and became chief of research and development, retiring in 1972. Survivors include his wife, Mary.

Edna Woerner Power, '29, of Portola Valley, Calif., in February, at 89, of cardiac arrest. She is survived by her husband of 63 years, William.

Philip D. Stitt, '29, of Yreka, Calif., October 28, at 90, of cancer. He worked for Standard Oil Co. of California for 16 years, during which time he made a film that exposed the beach oil-pollution problem. He then moved to Phoenix and became a political and public relations consultant to various professional organizations. He founded and published for 16 years the magazine Arizona Architecture, winning national and regional awards for excellence. He served on several city and state boards and commissions, particularly in the area of the environment, and was made an honorary member of the American Institute of Architects in 1974. He was predeceased by his wife of 56 years in 1986 and later secured an amendment to Arizona's marriage laws that permitted him to marry his lifelong friend and first cousin, the late Virginia Trevitt. Together they traveled and eventually moved to Yreka in 1994. He was a weekly columnist for the Siskiyou Daily News and had served as Stanford's 1929 class correspondent since May 1996. Survivors: two sons, Richard and Wade; his step-daughter, Sylvia Hutcheson; 10 grandchildren; and 13 great-grandchildren.


Helen Yeomans Luther, '30, MA '31, of Salem, Ore., June 13, at 88. Survivors include her son, Norman, '58.

George Barry Likens, '31, Gr. '33, of Menlo Park, August 28, at 87. He was one of the "Immortal 21," who took back the Axe from Cal in the 1930 raid. After receiving a law degree from the U. of San Francisco, he worked in private practice until World War II. During the war, he served in the Army artillery. He joined the legal department of the Veterans Administration regional office in San Francisco in 1946, retiring in 1973 after many years as chief attorney. Survivors: his wife of 50 years, Florence; two daughters, Sheila Lee and Gayle; and two grandchildren.

Hubert Chain, '33, of Redmond, Wash., February 23. While at Stanford, he was a member of Theta Xi. He later studied at Cornish College, receiving a degree in theater in 1937. He worked at WNBC in New York for seven years, starting as a page in 1937, before being promoted to writer and eventually to head continuity director in the recording division. In 1943, he became director of radio for W.H. Weintraub Inc., directing and writing radio shows, and in the same year he founded Hu Chain Associates, a company that developed corporate, documentary and educational films. In 1946, he created a series of 13 radio broadcasts for the National Tuberculosis Association and was honored by the Institute for Education by Radio. During World War II, he produced For Us the Living, a program on the Czech resistance movement, and was honored by the Czech government-in-exile for his contribution to their freedom efforts. He retired in 1972, lived in Mexico for nine years, then moved to Redmond. Survivors include his wife, Sonja.

Gerald E. "Jerry" Brown, '37, MBA '39, of Gold Hill, Ore., in September 1996, in a car accident. While at Stanford, he was business manager of the Daily. He worked for two years in retail at Capwell's in Oakland. He started at Safeway stores in advertising and eventually became vice president for advertising, market research and foreign development. He retired in 1982. His wife, Marjorie Nichols Brown, predeceased him in 1995. Survivors: four daughters, Nancy Nelson, '67, Sue Haradon, '72, Carol O'Connor and Bonnie; and his son, Alan.

Richard Bernard Philip Daugherty, '37, of San Rafael, Calif., November 5, 1996, at 81. While at Stanford, he was a member and house manager of Beta Theta Pi, manager of the Dramatics Council and member of the Barnstormers. He was a lawyer at the San Francisco law firm Pillsbury, Madison and Sutro, retiring in 1977. He was a member of the Bohemian Club. Survivors: his wife, Peggy; his son, Richard Jr.; his daughter, Patricia Shallenberger; and four grandchildren.

Duane W. "Dewey" Edmonds, '37, of Hayden Lake, Idaho. While at Stanford, he played on the basketball team and was a member of Sigma Chi. After service in the Navy during World War II, he moved to San Marino, Calif., where he went to work for the Aetna Insurance Group. He retired as an executive after 30 years. He moved back to his hometown of Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, where he was active in the Boy Scouts and was chair and president of the Kootenai Medical Center Hospital board for 20 years. Survivors: his wife, Betty; five sons, Bill, Duane Jr., Jim, Todd and Stephen; and his sister, Marbel Edmonds Rodell, '37.

John "Jack" Malcolm Gerrard, '37, of Columbus, N.C., in May, at 81. While at Stanford, he was a member of Delta Kappa Epsilon. He worked for Columbia Steel in Pittsburg, Calif., and then, with his father, formed A.J. Gerrard & Co., a steel strapping and packaging materials enterprise in Chicago. An avid Stanford sports fan and stamp collector, he retired to Jacksonville, Fla., in the early 1980s. His wife, Lucie Spalding Gerrard, predeceased him in 1991. Survivors: his son and his daughter; two sisters; four grandchildren; and one great-grandchild.

Frank William Graves, '37, of Occidental, Calif., February 7, at 84. He taught in the Los Angeles public schools after earning his credentials from Santa Barbara State Teachers College. In 1947, he began teaching at the Boys Republic, a private school for juvenile delinquents in Chino, Calif. During his tenure there, the school became one of the top rehabilitation organizations in the United States. After retiring in 1975, he moved to Occidental. Survivors: his wife, Marianne; and six children, Steven, Bryan, Judy Chilcutt, Susan Grossage, Jill Laird and Chris Hollister.

Helen Piner Gadsby, '37, of Benicia, Calif., July 30, at 82. A resident of Benicia for 21 years, she was predeceased by her husband, Frank. Survivors: her daughter, Lillian Stanfield; two sisters, Claire Forni and Lita Simonds; and one grandchild.

John "Jack" Collier Beckett, '38, Engr. '41, of Palo Alto, October 26, at 80. He was a retired government relations manager at Hewlett Packard and widely regarded as a pioneer in the field of clean air and the biological effects of ionized air. He served in the Navy as an electrical officer at the Mare Island Shipyard and on the USS Princeton and as an assistant engineer on the USS New York. He retired from the U.S. Naval Reserve with the rank of commander in 1957. He joined Hewlett Packard in 1960. He was appointed Marin County representative to the Rapid Transit Commission for nine Bay Area counties by Gov. Earl Warren and served from 1952 to 1957. He was chair of the Metropolitan Transportation Commission from 1973 to 1976 and a senior adviser on President Reagan's Blue Ribbon Commission on Defense Management in 1986. An avid outdoorsman, he climbed almost every mountain in the Sierra Nevada. Survivors: his wife of 56 years, Margot; three sons, Paul, James and William; his brother, Page, '36; and six granddaughters.

Herbert N. Hultgren, '39, MD '43, of Stanford, October 18, at 80. He was professor emeritus of cardiovascular medicine at Stanford University School of Medicine. During World War II, he served with the U.S. Army Medical Corps in Europe, joining the medical school faculty in 1948. He was chief of the Stanford cardiology division for 12 years and established the first cardiac catherization lab in Northern California. In 1967, he joined the Palo Alto Veterans Affairs Medical Council, where he served as chief of cardiology services for 16 years. A pioneer in high-altitude medicine research, he was an international authority on high-altitude pulmonary edema and the cardiovascular effects of high altitude. He authored more than 300 scientific articles and abstracts and 30 book chapters. High Altitude Medicine, his definitive text on the clinical aspects of altitude illnesses, was published in June. He climbed and conducted mountain travel medical seminars. An Eagle Scout himself, he served as scoutmaster of Boy Scout Troop 51 on the Stanford campus. Survivors: his wife, Barbara, '46; three sons, Peter, '76, Bruce and John; and one grandson.


George Stanleigh "Stan" Arnold, '41, of Kentfield, Calif., at 78, of lymphoma of the central nervous system. While at Stanford, he was on the track and field team. He joined the Navy in 1942, serving in the Pacific during World War II. In 1945, he began working for the San Francisco Chronicle, writing feature stories, and he eventually became general manager of the Chronicle features syndicate. He helped launch the careers of "Dear Abby" columnist Abigail Van Buren and "Far Side" cartoonist Gary Larson. Survivors: his wife, Jane, '44; three daughters, Sarah Elizabeth Miller, Ann and Jean; two brothers, Anthony and Peter; and two grandchildren.

Denise Coblentz Ashford, '41, of Belvedere, Calif., June 5, at 76, of cancer. She worked as a histologist for Stanford Medical Center for many years, retiring in 1971. A competitive sailor who won many races, she taught with the San Francisco Yacht Club's junior sailing program and had an all-woman crew called the Sea Gals. In 1990, she was named the "Marianne Mason Yachtswoman of the Year." She also was a member of the Belvedere Sailing Society. Her first marriage to Royce Russell ended in divorce, and her second husband, Herbert Ross, predeceased her. Survivors: her husband, John; three sons, Royce, Edmond and James Russell; her daughter, Carolyn Sullivan; two stepsons, John and Fred Ross; and seven grandchildren.

Janet Gould Greene, '41, of West Dover, Vt., at 73. While at Stanford, she was managing editor of the Daily and a member of Cap and Gown. Following graduation, she worked for the Associated Press and several West Coast newspapers. She became the first woman state capital bureau manager for the former United Press International and later became the night manager of the Northwest headquarters bureau. In 1957, she and her husband, Stephen, started the Stephen Greene Press in Brattleboro, Vt., and published regional nonfiction for more than 20 years. Janet was editor-in-chief as well as primary author and editor of the best-selling Putting Food By. She also authored two books of epitaphs. She was a contributing editor of Vermont Life and served on the board of Vermont Public Radio, hosting her own program called Country Time. She taught food preparation at several universities and on regional television and radio shows. A member of numerous community and social organizations, she was founder and first president of Brattleboro Friends of Retarded Children and served more than 40 years as secretary of the Mountain View Cemetery Association. Her husband predeceased her in 1979. Survivors: two daughters, Stephanie Greene Brooks and Jennifer; and two grandsons.

Jack Hall Johnston, '41, of Menlo Park, March 7, at 76. While at Stanford, he was a member of Phi Delta Theta. He went to graduate school at the U.S. Naval Academy and served as a lieutenant commander in the Pacific during World War II. He worked for Babcock & Wilcox Co. for 35 years and later for Brown & Root. He was a member of Alpine Hills Tennis and Swim Club. Survivors: his wife of 53 years, Allison; three daughters, Abigail Wardwell, Adrienne and Mary; his son, William; his sister, Adrienne Johnston Franklin, '37; four granddaughters; and a great-grandson.

Randolph "Ranny" Stone Lee, '41, of Swarthmore and Elk Lake, Pa., June 17, at 78. While at Stanford, he was a member of Phi Sigma Kappa. During World War II, he served from 1941 to 1945 as a radar officer in Europe and the Pacific. He worked as an electrical engineer for Baldwin Locomotive Co. from 1947 to 1955 and at Burroughs Corp. in Paoli, Pa., from 1955 to 1960. He taught geometry at Springfield High School from 1960 to 1981. He was a Boy Scout leader in Swarthmore and volunteer at Riddle Memorial Hospital. Survivors: his wife, Marilyn; three sons, Randolph, Bruce and George; his brother, Stephen; and five grandchildren.

Barbara Caswell Proctor, '41, of Carmel, Calif., June 25, at 77, of cancer. During World War II, she joined the Army and accompanied the first WAC battalion to England in 1943. She taught high school English and world history for 10 years and later owned and operated a women's boutique in Carmel for 11 years. She sold the business in 1985 and devoted herself to writing, authoring three novels. She was a pianist and lifelong equestrian; during her years at Stanford, she sang in many opera productions. Survivors: her son, Michael; three daughters, Julie Sheppard, Kate Cole and Karen Nichols; her brother, Richard Caswell; her sister, Jane Hansen Tschannel; four grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.

Arthur Laurence "Larry" Dee, '42, of Corvallis, Ore., August 1. While at Stanford, he was a member of Phi Delta Theta. He played on the football, basketball and tennis teams, winning the National Intercollegiate doubles title in 1940 and 1942, and was inducted into the Stanford Athletic Hall of Fame. During World War II, he served in the Navy in the Pacific. He graduated from Johns Hopkins School of Medicine in 1951 and completed his internship and residency training in San Francisco at the Stanford Hospital and the VA Hospital at Fort Miley. He practiced pathology at the Antelope Valley Hospital in Lancaster, Calif., and later was associated with the Palo Alto Medical Clinic. He was professor and chair of the pathology department at the U. of Oklahoma School of Medicine for six years and then moved to Charlottesville, N.C., where he was in practice with the Charlotte Pathology Group until his retirement in 1986. Survivors: five children and six grandchildren.

Gordon David Miller, '42, of Carmel, Calif., May 20, at 82, of cancer. He was a history and civics teacher at Salinas High School, retiring in 1981, and taught reading and writing to Soledad State Prison inmates. He was a member of the Unitarian Church of Monterey and several community organizations. Survivors: his wife, Muriel; two sons, Kirk and Gordon; his daughter, Lalan Simons; three stepchildren; three grandchildren; and two step-grandchildren.

Stephen J. Kline, '43, MS '49, of Stanford, October 24, at 75, of liver disease. During World War II, he worked for the U.S. Army in the office of the chief of ordnance. After earning his doctorate from Massachusetts Institute of Technology, he joined the Stanford faculty in 1952, retiring in 1992 as professor emeritus of mechanical engineering. His work on the nature of air turbulence led to a whole field of research, both experimental studies and the development of computer simulations, that greatly influenced the design of modern airplanes. He published 150 technical papers and three books, primarily in the fluid mechanics field. His research won him scientific medals in six countries. In 1981, he was inducted into the National Academy of Engineering. He also did extensive consulting with industry. Among his most important contributions was his "chain-link" model for technological innovation, which has been widely adopted both in the United States and abroad. He was one of the founders of Stanford's program in science, technology and society. His final book, Conceptual Foundations for Multidisciplinary Thinking, was published by Stanford University Press in 1995. Survivors: his wife, Naomi Jeffries-Kline; two sons, David, '71, and Mark, '75; his daughter, Carolyn, '80; two stepsons, Keith and Gordon Glasson; his stepdaughter, Lisa Hewitt; and eight grandchildren.

Robert "Bob" Mitchell, '44, of Silver Lakes, Calif., July 17, at 75, of cancer. During World War II, he served in the Navy. A lifelong resident of California, he was the owner and operator of All American Uniform Rental. He played football at Stanford and was a professional football player for the Los Angeles Dons. He was inducted into Stanford's Athletic Hall of Fame. Survivors: his son, Jeff; his daughter, Tracy Simons; seven grandchildren; and eight great-grandchildren.

Jacqueline Compton Pertuit, '45, of Pinole, Calif., August 1. Survivors include her husband.

Katherine Hertzog Campbell, '46, of Long Beach, Calif., in 1996.

Charles H. "Charlie" Clark, '47, of Stockton, Calif., March 4, 1996, at 71. While at Stanford he was on the wrestling and football teams. He worked as a surveyor for the Arizona Highway Department during his college years and, after graduating, worked for the State of California personnel department in Sacramento. During his 30-year career in the insurance business, he worked for Metropolitan Life Insurance Co. for 17 years, including three years in Europe. After his retirement, he worked as an insurance broker and taught for the Stockton Unified School District for seven years. He was a member of several nature and environmental organizations. Survivors: his wife of 33 years, Genie; and nine nieces and nephews.

Lawrence Edward Silva, '49, of Los Osos, Calif., August 8, at 69, of cancer. He worked at Bank of America in Northern California for 30 years, retiring as a bank manager. He was associated with the Natural History Museum in Morro Bay and served as a docent at Morro Bay State Park. He was a member of the American Legion and Old Mission Catholic Church. Survivors: his wife, Marion; two sons, Paul and John; four daughters, Joan Miller, Carolyn Flack, Cathy and Laura; his brother, Gerald; and eight grandchildren.

Philip Stanley Slater, '49, MA '51, of Sacramento, Calif., May 23, at 70, of pneumonia. During World War II, he served from 1944 to 1946 in the Navy, working as a hospital staffer aboard the USS Starr. He was a dentist in Sacramento for 34 years, retiring in 1991. He was predeceased by his wife of 39 years, Mary, in 1989. Survivors: his son, Jeff, '82; his daughter, Kathy Gomez; and his brother, Alfred, '48, MA '53.


Robert "Bob" M. Lorenz, '50, of Palos Verdes Peninsula, Calif., July 1. While at Stanford, he was a member of Theta Xi. After service in the Air Force, he attended Thunderbird School of International Business. He spent 10 years in Latin America and New York for the City Bank of New York and then served as senior vice president and department head of Security Pacific Bank's division in Latin America. Survivors: his wife, Shirley; two sons; two daughters; and four grandchildren.

Robert Emerson Bond Jr., '52, of San Diego, June 9, at 67, of respiratory failure following heart surgery. He earned his medical degree from UCSF and joined his father in practice in San Diego in 1958. He was affiliated with Mercy and Sharp Memorial hospitals and retired in 1989. A cycling enthusiast, he was active in numerous cycling organizations and traveled by bicycle throughout the United States and Europe. He also was a member of the Herb Society of America and editor of its newsletter. Survivors: his wife, Suzanne; two daughters, Laura Bond Sewall and Lisa; and two grandchildren.

Eugene F. Katnik, '53, of Santa Ana, Calif., June 7, at 66. While at Stanford, he was a member of Sigma Alpha Epsilon and the tennis team. After graduation, he served in the U.S. Coast Guard, then earned a law degree at UCLA and practiced law in Santa Ana for 36 years. Survivors: his wife, Ann, '53; five daughters, Jane, Leslie, Karen, Susan and Mary; and four sons, Stephen, Bryan, Robert and Scott.

Barbara Hollands Peevers, '53, Gr '55, of Chico, Calif., July 31, at 66. During the 1950s, she worked for the Hoover Institution and the electrical engineering department at Stanford. She was married to David Tompkins from 1952 to 1957, when she moved to Reno, Nev., and began work as executive director of the Washoe County Camp Fire Girls. In 1959, she worked for the Olympic Organizing Committee, helping to develop the facilities in Squaw Valley. She married Alfred Peevers in 1960. She received a National Institute for Mental Health fellowship at the U. of Nevada-Reno and received her PhD in psychology in 1970. From 1970 to 1973, she was a research associate and lecturer there. She was professor of sociology at Chico State U. from 1973 until retiring in 1992, serving on its Foundation Board of Governors, Faculty Senate, Women's Faculty Association and as ombudsperson. She was a longtime board member and past president of the Butte County Stanford Club. Survivors: two sons, Richard and Michael; her stepmother, Miriam Hollands; and two grandchildren.

Shirley Ann Chance Schwamm, '57, of Knoxville, Tenn., June 28. While at Stanford, she was inducted into Phi Beta Kappa. She worked as a computer programmer and analyst at the U. of Tennessee. She was a member of St. James's Episcopal Church in Knoxville and supported a wide range of higher education, charitable and community organizations. Survivors: her son, Justin; her mother, Ruth C. Chance; and one granddaughter.

Palmer J. Swanson Jr., '58, of Lancaster, Calif., January 14, in an airplane crash. He was a physician. Survivors include his wife, Cathie; and his son, Palmer, '82.


Linda Martin Kimball, '61, MA '62, of Point Loma, Calif., June 20, at 58, of cancer. She was an ordained deacon and an elder at Point Loma Community Presbyterian Church. She also taught Sunday school and was active in women's groups at the church. She was a volunteer for the Sunset View Parent-Teacher-Student Association, Cub Scouts, Girl Scouts and Camp Fire Girls, and participated in the Mothers and Daughters Club Assisting Philanthropies. After earning a second master's degree in 1986 from San Diego State U., she served as a military education counselor with the Foundation for Educational Achievement from 1987 to 1996, advising military personnel at the Naval Submarine Base, the Naval Training Center and Naval Base in San Diego. Survivors: her husband, David, '59; three daughters, Amy, Jennifer and Melissa; and her son, Andrew; her parents; and two grandchildren.

Ronnie Kleinhammer Allen, '64, of Aptos, Calif., August 30, at 55, of a cerebral hemorrhage. While at Stanford, she was a member of Cap and Gown. She wrote columns for her local Mensa Chapter and organized expert bridge games. She was for many years a contributing editor for Stanford magazine. She is survived by two sons, Tim and Michael.


Lora Patricia Romero, '81, of Redwood City, October 10, at 37, of suicide. She was an assistant professor of English and served as Casa Zapata resident fellow from 1995 to 1997. After receiving her doctorate from UC-Berkeley in 1988, she taught at Princeton and the U. of Texas-Austin before returning to Stanford to teach courses in 19th- and 20th-century American literature as well as Chicano cultural studies and gender theory. Her first book, Home Fronts: Domesticity and Its Critics in the Antebellum United States, was published at the end of October. Survivors: her parents, George and Alice; two brothers; and a sister.


John Schlesinger, '97, MA '97, of Pound Ridge, N.Y., August 18, at 23, in a car accident. While at Stanford, he was a member of the cycling team. Last spring, he won the Wine Country Classic in his category, qualifying him to enter open races with professional riders. He was interested in a career in journalism and had plans to travel to Milan and do freelance writing for newspapers. Survivors: his parents, Richard and Sheila; and two sisters, Lauren and Katie.


Floyd James "Corky" Campbell, MBA '55, of Rancho Santa Fe, Calif., June 23, at 68. He was a pioneer in the use of credit cards, computers and mass marketing in business. He started his own business in 1973, which involved membership development and mass marketing. In 1974, he and his wife, Lee, founded Community Bible Study, which has grown into an international program. Survivors: his wife, Lee; three sons, James, William and Chris; three daughters, Jeannette Campbell Ballard, Bonnie Campbell Fletcher and Laurie; and nine grandchildren.


Marjorie Marshall, MA '52, of Anaheim, Calif., June 4, at 87, of complications following a stroke. She taught physical education classes in Des Moines, Iowa, before moving to California. From 1942 until 1946, she was a Red Cross field director at Fort Ord. In 1947, she joined the staff of the newly formed Monterey Peninsula College, where she taught physical education, dance, hygiene, business, sociology and orientation until her retirement in 1968. During her tenure, she also served as student counselor, dean of women and dean of students. She was past president of the Soroptomist Club of the Monterey Peninsula and a member of the First United Methodist Church in Eureka, Calif. Survivors: her husband of 62 years, Murray; two daughters, Judy Diaz and Jenny Marshall-Edwards; her twin sister, Margaret; four grandchildren; and a great-grandson.

William C. Lemon, MA '60, of Palm Springs, Calif. He was a teacher and principal in Los Gatos, Calif., for many years. Survivors: his wife, Kathy; his daughter, Julie; and two grandchildren.

Betty V. Peterson Mowrer, MA '62, of Turlock, Calif., August 19, at 77, of melanoma cancer. From 1957 to 1987, she was the school nurse at her alma mater, Turlock High School, and president of the Stanislaus County School Nurses Association. She was the first woman to be appointed a trustee on the board of the Emanuel Medical Center in Turlock. She was a member of the Evangelical Free Church in Turlock and on the advisory council of the Mt. Hermon Christian Conference Center. Survivors: her husband of 56 years, Woodrow H. Mowrer; two sons, Sheridan and Sherwyn; her daughter, Sharlene; and six grandchildren.

Myron H. Johnson Sr., MA '72, of Atlanta, July 5, at 71, of complications of Alzheimer's disease. He served in the Navy during World War II. From 1958 to 1984, he served as an administrator in the San Francisco Unified School District and worked with the California State Department of Education and the American Overseas Schools in Okinawa for the U.S. Department of Defense. He also worked for Fulton County public schools and the School of Education at Atlanta U. He was past president of the San Francisco Bay Area Morehouse College Chapter and guided many scholarship fund-raising efforts. In 1984, he returned to Atlanta and became Morehouse's director of annual and planned giving programs. Survivors: his son, Myron Jr.; his brother, Horace; and his grandson.


James C. Szot, MS '68, of Greenlawn, N.Y., August 4, at 52. He worked as a thermal engineer for McDonnell-Douglas and Northrop in California and most recently for Northrop-Grumman in Bethpage, N.Y. He was a member of the Tau Beta Pi fraternity. Survivors: his mother, Mary Rose Nowak Szot; and his aunts, uncles and cousins.

Bruce Alan Cleland, MS '78, of South Pasadena, Calif., July 26, at 43, in an attempted carjacking in East Los Angeles. He worked for General Electric in San Jose and then TRW's systems integration group in San Jose. He transferred to the TRW facility in Redondo Beach, Calif., and was in his 18th year of employment with the company. Survivors: his wife, Rebecca; his parents, Harold and Teddy; and his stepson, Michael.

Humanities and Sciences

George Arthur Willey, PhD '56 (speech and drama), of Palo Alto, October 12, at 74, following complications from heart surgery. For 40 years, he played Squire Bracebridge at the annual Yosemite Christmas feast and pageant, created by Stanford President Donald Tresidder and photographer Ansel Adams and set in the time of King George III. During World War II, he served in the Pacific. He taught communication at Stanford and Foothill College and was the first dean of instruction at DeAnza College. Most recently, he served as director of the Bay Area Community College Television Consortium. In the 1950s, as educational director at KPIX-TV, he produced more than 200 public affairs programs. Throughout the 1960s, he wrote a syndicated daily column of radio and television criticism for Bay Area newspapers. He served as production director for the West Bay Opera Association and, during his retirement, wrote several plays. Survivors: his wife of 48 years, Jill; three sons, Lucas, Robert and Art; and two grandchildren.

Raymond A. Smith Jr., MA '58, PhD '61 (history), of Ellensburg, Wash., August 5, at 67, of heart disease. He served in the Army during the Korean War. He taught history at the U. of Omaha and at Southern Oregon College before joining the faculty of Central Washington U. in 1965. He retired as director of the school's humanities program in 1996. During his tenure, he oversaw the acquisition of an extensive microfilm collection of newspapers for the Central Library. Survivors: his wife, Mary Fredericksen; two daughters, Theresa Johnson and Molly Pavia; two sons, Nathan and Raymond III; three sisters, Barbara Bates, Elizabeth Keith and Ruth Shepherd; his brother, Richard; and eight grandchildren.

Robert E. Wellck, MS '62 (mathematics), of Santa Fe, N.M. He worked for Cray Research Inc. Survivors include his niece, Michele Wellck, '90.

Harvey J. Newton, MA '63 (sociology), of Portola Valley, October 19, at 63, of degenerative heart disease. He was a psychiatrist and a member of the clinical faculty at Stanford Medical Center from 1964 to 1997. He founded a private therapeutic practice in Portola Valley, Calif., and was one of the pioneers of group therapy. Survivors: his wife, Nancy; six children, Wendy Farrell, Sally Breyfogle, Gwendy Beer, Bill MacMaster, and Stu and Erik Newton; and 10 grandchildren.

Andrew Philip Smith, PhD candidate (English), of Scarsdale, N.Y., November 1, at 25, of a pulmonary embolism at Stanford. He was interested in rare and antique books and was responsible for enlarging the English department's library collection. Survivors: his parents, Richard and Penny; and his brother, Douglas.


Sam J. Farmer, JD '50, of Edmonds, Wash., September 8, at 72. During World War II, he served in the Navy, retiring with the rank of lieutenant junior grade. He practiced with the Atomic Energy Commission in Richland, Wash., and served as chief counsel for General Atomic in San Diego and Zurich, Switzerland, and as general counsel for Battelle Pacific Northwest Laboratories in Richland, retiring as director of the Battelle Seattle Research Center. He played trombone with Mid-Columbia Symphony and the Edmonds Community College Jazz Band. He served on the boards of Bishop Museum in Hawaii, the National Board of Oral Surgeons, the Washington Public Power Supply System and the Virginia Mason Research Foundation. He was president of the board of overseers for Whitman College. Survivors: his wife of 50 years, Martha; three daughters, Janie Goldsberry, Pat Bundy and Shannon Gornick; his son, Sam; and eight grandchildren.

You May Also Like

© Stanford University. Stanford, California 94305.